So, you haven’t worked out in a while, or maybe never? It’s time to push the start button and get the show on the road! Don’t make excuses like “I’ll wait til after the holidays”, or “I don’t have time”. I’m going to give you some tips and easy body weight exercises to get you started right now!
- First things first: this is just a guideline. Consult your physician and listen to your body. It doesn’t lie to you.
- Hide the scale. Don’t focus on a number. Focus on how you feel and how your clothes fits. Take your measurements before you begin if you want to keep track of your progress. Here is a link to show you how to take measurements correctly.
- I don’t know about you, but I find gyms a bit intimidating. You can start working out at home. Begin by taking daily walks. I’m not talking about a casual stroll while chatting on the phone. Walk with purpose. Play some of you favorite upbeat music and get to stepping!
- There are a multitude of body weight exercises you can do in the comfort of your home. Here is a quick routine to get you started. I’ve included links to videos that show the proper technique, which is important for maximum results and to avoid injury.
Simple Body Weight Exercises
- Body weight squats– 10 repetitions
- Push ups (regular or modified) – 10 reps
- Lunges – 20 reps (10 on each side)
- Lying hip raise – 10 reps
- Plank – hold for 15 seconds
- Jumping jacks (modified or regular) – 15 reps
80% of success is showing up– Woody Allen
Complete 3 to 4 circuits per day. Pick 3 days a week with a rest day in between to allow your muscles time to adjust.
- Challenge yourself by working towards 30 reps of each exercise and 1 minute holding the plank.
- Increase the circuits for a total of 6 circuits.
- Increase intensity by resting less between exercises.
Once you’re able to perform 30 reps of each exercise, you can progress to tougher body exercises over time. Stay tuned for more topics on fitness and some workout challenges we will do together. I’m just getting started!