Daily Practices For a Better You
I’m not perfect. Neither are you. But, we can strive daily to be the best version of ourselves that we can possibly be. How can we do this? I’m going to share with you some of the things I do.
- Be grateful- Before you get out of bed every morning, say “thank you”. You just got the opportunity to create another page in your life. What new adventures will you have today?
- Meditate- Most people say they don’t know how to meditate or they can’t quiet their mind. There is no right or wrong way to meditate. It’s a personal and individual experience. Focus on your breathing. Notice how the air flowing in through your nostrils is cold, and when you exhale it’s warm. When thoughts arise, just acknowledge them like a cloud floating by, and bring your awareness back to the breath. If you do this daily, you will notice that thoughts pop up less, but as I said before, if they do, it’s OK. I use an app called Insight. It has a variety of guided meditations, as well as a timer if you prefer not to use the guided meditations. Check it out!
All You Need Is Love!
- Self-love- We tend to be hard on ourselves. We criticize and beat ourselves up mentally all the time. It’s time to stop! A good way to begin practicing self-love is to write down three things you love about yourself. Make this a daily practice. When you’re getting ready in front of the mirror, look into your eyes and say I love you ten times. Surround yourself with people who love and support you as well as people you love and support. You’ll be surprised at how much of a happier person you will become.
- Love everyone- This is not easy to do. If we adopt the concept that we are all connected, it makes it a lot easier to practice. I like to send love to total strangers as I’m driving or walking down the street. I do this in my head as I smile at them or say hello; or both! When I catch myself on the verge of having a judgmental thought about someone: for example,the person at the stop sign asking for money, I send them love instead, and give them spare change, if I have it. I also send them healing energy, hoping that whatever they’re going through gets better.
Take Care Of Yourself Before You Care For Others
- Forgiveness- This is a big one. It’s not easy to forgive those who have hurt us in any way. Forgiving doesn’t mean we condone the act, nor does it necessarily mean we want to rekindle a relationship with those who hurt us. It’s about releasing the hurt, pain, and negative feelings attached to that person. It neutralizes the negative vibes so that when we think about, talk about, or run into the perpetrator, those old feelings don’t pop up again.
- Put yourself first- A huge belief that has been programmed in our brains is that putting yourself first is selfish. Does that even make any sense?? Of course we have to put ourselves first! If we don’t, who the heck will? If everyone put themselves first, we’d be in a better world.
- Do things that make you happy- Dance, write, curl up in a blanket and read a book, etc. Bring out the inner child in you.
- Take care of your health- Exercise and eat right. Our body is our vehicle in this life. Some people take better care of their cars than they do their bodies. Read my blogs on how to start exercising and eating healthy.
Bottom line is: we are all work in progress and every day is a learning experience. Accepting and loving ourselves as we are is the first step. Taking action is the next step. Start by taking baby steps, and before you know it, you’ll be running! Be the change that you want the world to be. Start with the woman in the mirror (thanks Michael Jackson!). Tell yourself the following:
Every day, in every way, I am getting better and better!
Please comment and let me know what you do to be the best version of yourself. Share with your friends if you think they can benefit from this article and don’t forget to follow me on social media!